Why Do Pipes Burst on Freezing?
Water has a property of expanding while freezing. This property leads to an increase in the pressure exerted by water on the pipes. However, an important point that must be understood is that it’s not always the outward pressure of water that leads to pipe burst. In case of complete blockage of pipe by ice, water gets trapped with ice at one end and a closed faucet at the other end. With increase in expansion and pressure, pipe ultimately gets blocked and bursts at the pipe’s weakest point.
Following are some common plumbing tips which can be used to prevent pipes from getting frozen:
1. Adjust the Thermostat – While saving cash on the utility bills is on everybody’s mind, however, one should not do it at the cost and comfort of the pipes. Homes that were built years ago and are old should be insulated to their best so as to keep the temperature of the home reasonable. This is a great way to keep the pipes healthy.
2. If Away, Turn-Off Main Valve – If you’re planning to escape to a place that has warm weather, make sure you turn-off your main water valve. This will ultimately prevent the water from trickling down the faucets and will save it from getting frozen while you’re away at another place. This can also help you to save on your water bill.
3. Leave a Drip – It’s an old advice and it definitely works. By leaving a tiny drip on the faucet, one can keep the water to move just enough so that freezing of pipe can be prevented. But a major point with this tactic is that all the faucets of the home must be left to drip including those that are present in the basement or garden.
4. Keep Cabinets Open – For pipes present inside the cabinets, open the cabinets and let the pipes get heated by your home’s heat. It won’t add much to your energy bill but can definitely save your pipes from getting frozen and bursting. Moreover, the dent in your utility bill is nothing as compared to the cost of frozen pipe repair.
5. Use a Space Heater – Space heaters have a wide array of uses. Apart from the people, they can be used to protect pipes that don’t bear any protective covering against cold temperature. A space heater is a temporary approach to fix frozen pipes till the time professional protection for frozen water pipes in Toronto is reached.
Having a frozen water pipe in the building is a nuisance and the burst of such a pipe is a bigger nuisance. We, at Santos Water, have been ranked as one of the best frozen pipe repair company in Toronto. Call us anytime at (416) 824 – 3352 to get a ‘Quote’ on our services.