A clogged drain can wreak havoc the whole plumbing system of your home. Clogged drains are one of the most common and daunting issues in a home. Such conditions can be handled only by professionals who hold the right knowledge and tools to help you get rid of them in less time. The problem of a plugged drain can be eliminated with the help of plumber’s snake. It is a tool meant for drain cleaning and mostly used by expert plumbers.
A plumbing snake is a flexible auger meant to prevent the clogs in the pipes that couldn’t be removed with a plunger. Snakes are made of a coiled steel wire having a device with a crank attached at one end.
Plumbing snake is quite a complex tool to handle. Go through the guide to know how to efficiently use the plumbing snake.
- Before employing the plumbing snake, keep towels and a bucket besides you to collect the water that may overflow and run on the ground. Put on gloves as the snake cable will get dirty and slimy while drain snaking.
- In order to access the drain conveniently, make sure you remove the drain cover.
- Home-owners need to be meticulous while performing snaking job. Start with the smallest snake to prevent the problem. If it fails to do so, use a larger one. When it is put inside the drain, rotate it clockwise but make sure you don’t create any pressure inside otherwise you’ll damage the plumbing fixtures.
- Slide in the snake until you discover the blockage. Keep repositioning the grip within the certain inches of the entry way near the pipe as you put the snake into the drain.
- If you cannot discover the clog, run the snake in along with the branch pipe. In the branch tube, if no clog appears, the blockage may be in the vent sack or within the sewer line. In such a situation, you need to call an expert.
- After discovering the actual blockage, smoothly rotate the head of the snake to lock the clog into it. Once you have a firm grip over it, take out the snake from the drain. This may be a little messy, but the bucket and towel will provide substantial help to you.
- Make sure you prevent the remaining debris inside the pipe by running hot water down the drain. This will completely wash away the residues and clear the pipe.
Plumbing snakes are beneficial tool to unblock a drain. It is crucial to utilize the snake properly in order to avoid expensive plumbing repairs.
Santos Water provides a wide range of plumbing and drain repair solutions in Toronto. Our experienced plumbers provide quality plumbing and drain services in residential and commercial complexes.