A leaking pipe in the kitchen or bathroom can cause lot of inconvenience. Moreover, plumbing problems are highly responsible for walls and floor damages. To prevent moist walls, it’s essential to maintain and upkeep all water outlets and drain pipes. To improve efficiency and avoid clogs, there’s need to follow maintenance tips. Knowing a few basic plumbing tricks can help a lot in reducing possible damages to a structure.
Few handy tips that are helpful in making repairs easier are:
1. Inspect for water leaks: Small water leaks, if neglected can lead to bigger and costlier problems. Never ignore signs such as dripping taps, leaking faucets, damp cabinets, etc. as they can soon turn out to become expensive repairs. Do a monthly inspection of water tanks, outlets, drains and sewer pipes. Get all these problems repaired at once from expert plumbers.
2. Early repairs: A mild leaking faucet can cause water to leak into the walls or onto the floor that can lead to moisture and mold growth. Early repairs are necessary to avoid structural damages. Another problem area that’s mostly ignored is damage caused by a leaking dishwasher. To spot a plumbing leak in kitchen, pull the leaking appliance away from walls or replace its door seal twice a year. Furthermore, small puddles of water can be more problematic compared to larger ones.
3. Know how to respond to overflows: If water is pouring out of washbasin, toilet or bathtub, locate the main shut-off valve that cuts off the water supply to the entire home. If you know some of the easy repairs, try to apply them. In case, you don’t know anything about pipes or drains, call a emergency plumbing technician.
4. Turn off the electric appliances: Since water is a bad conductor of electricity, it’s responsible for causing major electric shocks. To avoid the dangers, it’s advised to shut the water supply and turn off the electric appliances that are placed near to leakage spot. This will reduce potential damages, dangers and cleaning efforts.
5. Know the piping material: Water pipes are made up of various materials that are both strong and durable. If your home was built many years ago, it might be having underground galvanized iron pipes. They are prone to rust and corrode with time. Know the material that was used in constructing the drain pipes in your home. If its iron, get them replaced by a specialist to avoid massive underground leakage.
These were the few maintenance tips that should be kept in mind before dealing with plumbing and drainage issues. Santos Water is a renowned water and plumbing company in GTA that offers wide range of commercial and residential plumbing installations, repairs and drain cleaning services.